Coping With the Lifetime Costs of a Birth Injury
When a medical professional makes an error during pregnancy, labor or delivery the baby can suffer a birth injury that results in death or a life-long disability.
The attorneys of Chiariello & Chiariello represent parents whose children suffered birth injuries due to the negligence of obstetricians, family doctors, nurses, midwives, hospitals and other health care providers. We also represent clients in cases in which the mother and/or the child died due to medical negligence.
Holding the Negligent Responsible
Raising a child with a serious disability can be emotionally and financially challenging. We hold those who caused your child harm financially responsible for damages. We pursue the financial compensation parents need to provide for the injury-related expenses: everything from ongoing medical care and therapy to modifications to the home to make it handicapped accessible.
We represent families in birth injury claims involving:
- Delayed C-section
- Failure to perform a C-section
- Failure to recognize or respond to fetal trauma
- Ill-advised vaginal birth after Cesarean (VBAC)
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Erb's palsy
- Klumpke's palsy
- Cerebral palsy
- Shoulder dystocia
- Brain damage from lack of oxygen
- Improper use of suction devices or forceps
- Improper delivery technique
- Uterine rupture
- Medication errors, including failure to turn off Pitocin
- Failure to timely diagnose and respond to cephalopelvic disproportion (CPD), in which the baby's head is too large for the mother's pelvis
- Failure to appropriately manage high-risk births, including those involving older mothers, multiple births, premature babies
Types of Birth Injury
Birth injuries can be caused by lack of oxygen to the brain, by placing too much force on a child's head and shoulders during delivery and by improper care during pregnancy, and many other types of negligence.
It can be difficult for a parent to know if medical malpractice was responsible for a child's birth injury. Some deficits do not show up for months or years after the birth. If we see evidence of possible malpractice, we will send your medical records for review by a respected medical expert. If he or she determines that negligence occurred, we will work to secure full compensation for damages.
It costs nothing to learn if you have a birth injury claim. Please contact our office by e-mail or call 888-692-1540 to arrange a free consultation. From offices in Glen Cove and Forest Hills, our lawyers represent clients in Queens, the other boroughs of New York City, and Long Island.