Dedicated to Helping Injured Children
Parents trust schools and day-care centers to teach their children and to keep them safe. Unfortunately, school children too often suffer injuries in school buildings and in playground accidents.
The attorneys of Chiariello & Chiariello have won financial compensation for parents whose children suffered school-related injuries caused by negligence. We have represented clients in cases involving:
- Lack of supervision
- Unsafe playground equipment
- Lack of proper safety policies
- Decisions by teachers that place children at risk
About School Injury Claims
Parents often do not understand that the school stands in loco parentis — in place of a parent — during the school day. The school has the same duty of care a parent would have if he or she was responsible for the child. Yet teachers and other school employees may put children at risk in a way no sensible parent would.
- In one case, a teacher gave a gym full of six-year-old autistic children golf clubs — real metal putters. Being six and having low impulse control, the children began swinging the clubs wildly. Our client's child suffered a head injury after being hit in the head with great force.
- In another case, a teacher sent a five-year-old kindergartner to a different floor of the building to use a restroom by himself, contrary to school policy. The child's thumb was mangled in a fire door.
In cases involving school injuries, it is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible. You only have 90 days in which to notify the city or school district of your intention to file a claim.
Dedicated to Protecting the Rights of Children and Families
As parents ourselves, we understand how devastating a serious injury can be to a child, who must live with the consequences for the rest of his or her life. Our primary goal is to obtain the maximum financial compensation for our client. In doing so, we may also help prevent injuries to other children by encouraging schools to be more responsible.
To arrange a free initial consultation, please contact us by e-mail of call 888-692-1540. From offices in Glen Cove and Forest Hills, our lawyers represent clients in Queens, the other boroughs of New York City, and Long Island.