Did You Know?

Although the advice of friends and family members may seem useful, only an experienced attorney can give you the proper advice you need to protect your rights. While you may think that you don't need a lawyer to evaluate your case, there are numerous important details that you might overlook.

Did you know:

  • The minimum bodily injury liability limit for automobile insurance in the State of New York is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per occurrence compared to only $10,000 per person and $20,000 per occurrence a few years ago.
  • Taxi cabs are required to maintain limits of liability of at least $100,000 per person.
  • Under new laws, applications for no-fault automobile benefits (e.g. medical expenses and lost wages) must be submitted within 30 days after an accident to the insurance carrier of the vehicle in which you were a passenger or operating at the time of the accident.
  • If you are injured in an automobile accident by a hit-and-run or an uninsured vehicle, you may still obtain compensation for your injuries. For example: If you or a member of your household owns an automobile, the uninsured motorist provision of the insurance policy covering that automobile may be available to compensate you for your injuries or if there is no applicable insurance in your household, coverage may be provided by the New York State Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC).
  • Although the statute of limitations for commencing a medical malpractice action is generally 2 1/2 years from the date of the malpractice, there are exceptions to this rule where a foreign object is involved or where there is a continuing course of treatment for the same condition which may extend the limitation period.
  • If you think you have a claim against a governmental body you may have to give the governmental agency written notice of your claim usually within a very short time after the accident.
  • Because of all the technicalities and restrictions, if you have been injured, you should contact Chiariello and Chiariello immediately.

Contact an attorney at Chiariello & Chiariello